Dienstag, 29. Dezember 2020

Interview with B-Boy Jojo (The Rock Steady Crew)

                    Interview with B-Boy Jojo ( The Crazy Commanders / The Rock Steady Crew)

                                               

B-Boy Jojo (The Crazy Commanders / The Rock Steady Crew)


                                  conducted by Sir Norin Rad (The Intruders / Germany)

SIR NORIN RAD:"From which part of the Boogie Down Bronx are you originally?"

JOJO:"I grew up on the West Side of the Bronx which was on Tremont Avenue.......Tremont & Grand which where I lived at was upper Grand Avenue 'cause Grand Avenue and Davidson Avenue cut right through Tremont Avenue and they had a lower Grand Avenue and a upper Grand Avenue and I was living on the upper Grand Avenue. So it was on the West Side of the Bronx."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Were you also born in the Bronx?"

JOJO:"No, I was born in Manhattan.....Metropolitan Hospital...on 3rd Avenue there and I lived in Manhattan until 1970, that's when I moved up to the Bronx."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Which year were you born?"

JOJO:"1964."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Where and when did you witness B-Boying for the first time?"

JOJO:"Okay, well let me just start off by starting how I even got into dancing and it will lead to  that, okay?"

SIR NORIN RAD:"Yes." 

JOJO:"It started when I was very young. My mother and my father got married and my father went to job corps. He became a welder and he came back to get his family which we were little kids at the time and he took us up to Boston, Massachusetts. We had a house and we lived there for about a year and then he died in a car accident. So my moms couldn't afford to keep the house so we had to move back to New York City. So when we moved back to New York City we really was out of a place. You know, we needed a place fast, we didn't know where.....and there was this Black lady....her name was Miss Vern Tucker.....she was a good friend of my grandmother for years and she offered to take us in and we lived with her for a few years until we got back on our feet  and she became my grandmother. So her family had parties and I can truly say that my flavour and my dance spirit and all that came from being at these house parties that they used to throw and we were a part of it.We were there at these parties that they used to throw at Christmas, Thanksgiving......we were also there at their birthday parties. And slowly but surely Miss Vern Tucker became my grandma, you know what I'm saying?  And her family became my cousins and that's where my flavour came from when I lived in Manhattan. I used to just dance, I used to just do steps on top  and they'd be like, "Go, Jojo! Go, Jojo!!" and actually she is the one that came up with the name Jojo. So that's where that came from. So finally we found a place in the Bronx and we moved up to the Bronx and that's where it all started for me. I lived there from 1970 till 1984. So while I lived there, there was a kid that lived in my building on Grand Avenue, his name was Mark. Black kid, he lived upstairs and I lived on the first floor. So one day I was at a jam... a DJ Whitehead jam (DJ of The Triple A Crew) at 82 Park...so I'm just chilling, hanging out and all of a sudden I see Mark and Mark is Breaking!!! And that was the first time I seen somebody do footwork, so I was like, "Holy crap!" You know, he was pretty good and I just looked at it and I went and I approached him. I said, "That's kinda nice! I like that!" And he's like, "Do you get down?" 'Cause that's what we called it back then.....we called it getting down. He said, "Do you get down?" I said, "Yeah, I get down!" He said, "Can you show me?" So I did some stuff that I just knew but he said, "That's not getting down! This is getting down!!" and so he went down and did these moves. I was flabbergasted when I first seen it, I was like, "Wow! I'm gonna really learn that!" So I went home and I practiced so the next time he would see me I actually had my footwork already. It was something for me to catch it and I caught it quick and it went from there.  I just kept on practicing and practicing Then I started noticing more B-Boys and witnessing more circles and that's when I was in Public School 26 on Burnside Avenue. After I left there I wasn't really dancing like in a crew or nothing like that. Then I moved to JHS 115 in the Bronx and that's when I really started exhibiting my style of dancing and all that because I got actually kinda good at it and then I used to come out at lunch time and there was always some B-Boys breaking. Like a circle and people would come out for lunch and watch and then everybody would go back in. So I ate B-Boys for lunch and that's how I met Aby (The Bronx Boys). You know, he used to come around and he always used to have somebody with him and there was always somebody dancing. DJ Cisco (Power Sounds) used to show up with his box and everybody used to be out there and that's probably when Aby witnessed me for the first time. So I remember one time he approached me and asked me.....this is what leads to that battle in the South Bronx in the Dungeon between Starchild La Rock and TDK (late 1978)....he asked me do I want to help TDK. So I was like, "Yeah, I'm down. Pick me up! I'll be waiting for you!" So I waited and waited and waited but he never showed up. At the time I was waiting I had gotten hold of Spy and Spy used to always like a challenge. I said, "Come on, we can go over there and get busy!" He said, "Alright!" I said,"Look, Aby never got a hold of me. I'm gonna walk, I'm pissed off. I'm gonna make my way out there." He said, "Alright, I'm gonna meet you out there! I'm gonna hitch the bus." That's what he did. So he hitched the bus over while I was walking. I walked down Arthur Avenue and I ran into Trac 2. I didn't know he was Trac 2 at the time. He was dressed like a B-Boy so I asked him, "Yo, you know where there's a B-Boy battle?" and he told me, "Yeah!" and then he asked me, "Why?" So I told him who I was and why I was going there and he said, "Yo, can I speak to you for a minute?" I was like, "Yeah." So he explained to me that it was just his group (Starchild La Rock) that was going against three other groups (TDK, TBB and Rockwell Association) and then he explained some more to me how they all wanted to take his crew out. So I said,"You know what? I'm kinda upset that this guy never picked me up." You know, I had nothing bad to say about Aby or nothing like that, that's just the way it was. Unfortunately, he told me to meet him and he just left me hanging. That kinda got me mad, so I  went on my own. That lead to me meeting Trac 2 and I told Trac 2, "You know what, I'm gonna help you out instead." He was like, "Really?" I said, "Yeah, and I got my boy Spy coming." None of these guys knew Spy until I brought him there. We were the only two CC Crew B-Boys there at that battle. We got there, as we were walking people wanted to know where that battle was.....actually we had a little crowd following us up on Tremont Avenue. We got to Belmont Avenue... made that right on to Belmont Avenue. Walked down the block, on the left hand side was the Dungeon. We got to the Dungeon, we got inside, you know, all of a sudden I saw Spy, so we met up with Spy. So we were all there, talking. Next thing you know I saw Aby and Batch on the other side. They were getting their guys together. All of a sudden Batch saw me, he stopped and said,"Yo, what the fuck are you doing over there?" Then Aby looked over to me and said,"Yo, Jojo! What's up? What you're doing over there?" And I said,"You know, man, you never came to get me so I'm gonna help them out." So I ended up helping Trac 2 and his crew. So we stayed on Trac 2's side and that's when that battle began. Trac's guys actually went out and battled and then when the good guys started to come out,  that's when me and Spy came out and got busy. At the end we ended up winning that battle and that was the history of that battle."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Could you please elaborate on those B-Boy sessions that took place at JHS 115? Like where exactly did the dancing take place at and who were the DJs?"

JOJO:"The battles that I told you about when Aby came around and where I used to come out for lunch that was on the Morris Avenue side of JHS 115. But the DJing.....when they started DJing they took it to the front of the school which would be on the 181st side between Morris and Creston Avenue. They used to block off the top stairs there with tables. If you wasn't down you couldn't go back there and my man DJ Ray Ski used to DJ there all the time."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Wizard Wiz (TDK) told me about DJ Ray Ski. He also used to DJ at the Aqueduct, right?"

JOJO:"Yeah."

SIR NORIN RAD:"What exactly is the Aqueduct?"

JOJO:"It was just a little walkway that was like in between the buildings, between the blocks. It goes from Tremont by University Avenue.....that's where the Aqeduct begins..and it goes all the way down to almost 184th Street or a little further. It almost ends by Fordham Road I think. Like you can go from Fordham Road and walk the Aqueduct and it'll take you all the way down to University & Tremont. It would be a few blocks. Like if you took the train...you would take the train from 176th Street to Fordham Road. That's the length of the Aqueduct."

SIR NORIN RAD:"So where exactly would DJ Ray Ski set up his equipment there? Was there a park?"

JOJO:"There were certain areas over there where they had like little sockets 'cause all the lamps that lit up the Aqueduct had a little box on the bottom. They were screwed tight but you would unscrew it and there's an electrical socket in there. All you had to do was plug up and that was it. You got juice! They used to find those lamps, take the thing off, plug up, take your extension cord and set up everything. Set up their equipment and do it there."   

SIR NORIN RAD:"The 12 O'Clock Crew also used to hang out there, right?"

JOJO:"Exactly. Well, the 12 O'Clock Crew ran 183rd Street. They used to say, "What's the word? 183rd!" You know, the 12 O'Clock used to run that. Like we was also affiliated with them. We never had any beef 'cause they knew us and we knew them. They was like down the block. They were on 183rd Street, we were on 184th Street. We were kool. We'd see each other at the jams. They were more like stick-up kids. They never tried anything with us but they did their thing to get their money. That's just how it was back then. You really had to know the area, you had to know who to talk to. They could get you in a building, they could get you outside. It was just crazy."  

SIR NORIN RAD:"Let's go back for a minute to the time when you started out as a B-Boy. Your first B-Boy partner was a guy called Spiderweb, correct? Moreover, is it true that Jojo wasn't your first B-Boy name?"

JOJO:"No, my first name was Spiderman. It was Spiderman and Spiderweb. That was my partner."

SIR NORIN RAD:"How did you meet him and how long did you stay together as partners?"

JOJO:"He was in my class. We was in school together for three years....JHS 115. We became good friends and then when he found out that I could dance, you know, he started coming around and he just picked it up and I started teaching him and so he became my partner. Then his two brothers  got down....Freddy and Angel... and my brother (Easy Mike) met them and we formed a little team. That little team used to go over to the Herc jams on Sedgwick Avenue."

SIR NORIN RAD:"That's very interesting! You were featured in that documentary "The Freshest Kids" and you stated there something to the effect that you were actually already B-Boying when there were hardly any Puerto Ricans around doing that dance...."

JOJO:"That's exactly what I'm meaning. What I'm telling you now that's what I meant when I said that. We were the only Puerto Ricans that got busy. Now DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee (early DJs from the West Bronx) used to give us our respect and say, "Check out the Puerto Rican B-Boys in the house! B-Boy Spiderman and B-Boy Spiderweb!" And we got busy and that was way back.  Back then there were a lot of Zulu B-Boys around. They sorta ran it back then. As for the Puerto Rican B-Boys we were just up and coming. You know, we were people who wanted to learn it and got good at it 'cause, you know, they say Puerto Ricans actually put B-Boys on their back. We're the ones that started the backspinning and all these kind of moves. As far as the footwork and the flip turns that they did....that came from the Black B-Boys."

DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee rocking the Mount Vernon Boy's Club (Date: March 3rd, 1978) 
 

SIR NORIN RAD:"Where did DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee throw their jams at?"

JOJO:"That was at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue. It was the same spot where Kool Herc used to rock. DJ Kool Tee would be DJing by the 1520 side and then Kool Herc would set up his equipment on the 1600 side. It was in between the buildings. One building was 1520, the other building was 1600. DJ Kool Tee and DJ Mr. Lee would set up their equipment and play till five and then Kool Herc would come out with the Herculoids. You know what they say about Kool Herc and The Herculoids, right? People used to think that The Herculoids were his crew but the Herculoids were his speakers. It was his shit that he brought out. That was the Herculoids!!! He used to come out and set up his soundsystem. We were like, "Damn!! Look at his speakers!!!" You know, his speakers were big! DJ Kool Tee had the small shit but his shit did enough for us to enjoy ourselves. Everybody that was outside enjoyed the music and then as soon as he started packing up his shit Kool Herc would be setting up. So we were like, "Let's go over there! Herc is setting up over there!" "Oh, there's another jam after this????" "Yeah!" "Oh, no doubt!" Go get some pizza, go chill out for a minute and then come back and they got the jam all set up. We were ready to go!"

SIR NORIN RAD:"Before you participated in that battle of Starchild La Rock against TDK at the Dungeon you had joined Spy's crew which was called The Crazy Commanders. How did that come about?"

JOJO:"Okay, this is how it happened. I was a known B-Boy and Cisco was a known DJ.  He used to DJ at 82 Park, too, just like DJ Whitehead. It was either DJ Cisco and DJ Bucko or DJ Whitehead. They used to come out all the time. He was also sorta involved in B-Boying. He was always hanging out with B-Boys and he wanted them to do things for him as far as like, "Battle this one and battle that one!" And if you didn't he would get mad and that's what he did to me. He got upset 'cause I ended up being friends with Shorty Rock and Spy after we battled. I ended up joining their crew. He said, "Nah, don't join them!" I said, "I'm sorry, B, but I join them, I like them." So he was like, "Ah, fuck that!" So he got mad and he left and that was it. Other than that when I first met him Cisco was the one that came and he said, "There's a group up the block from you. They're the best of this area!" So I was like, "What? Who?" He said,"There's a group up there called The CC Crew." I said, "Where??" He said,"Right up there by Harrison Avenue!" They lived right up the block. He said, "Come on I want you to meet them!" So I grabbed my brother B-Boy Easy Mike and we went up there to meet them. So we got there and it was just like in those karate movies. We got there and there were guys the front of the building just sitting there and I said,"Excuse me, where can I find B-Boy Spot?" He said, "B-Boy Spot? There ain't no B-Boy Spot. You mean B-Boy Spy." I said, "Yeah!" He said, "Why?" I said, "Tell him B-Boy Jojo and B-Boy Easy Mike we're here! Tell him we come to battle!" So he runs upstairs. Me and Easy Mike we walk inside the building and we're standing there. The building as soon as you walked in..it was a long straight hallway about 12 feet wide and like 30 feet long from the elevator to the front door. So it was kinda wide for Breaking. On each side of the elevator there was a staircase, so you can go up there through the stairs or take the elevator. So what happened was they went and got Spy. All of a sudden you heard a ruckus, many people were coming down from both staircases. This reminded you of a karate movie how the two guys come to challenge the master.    It was just like that! Their people ran to this side, ran to the other side and Shorty Rock and Spy walked down like they were the masters. They walked right down and these cats were all lined up. I was standing there looking at Easy Mike, he was looking at me and then Spy goes, "Who're you??" I said,"I'm Jojo. This is my brother Easy Mike. What's good?" He said, "What do you want?" I said, "We come to battle!" He said, "Really?" I said, "Yeah! Box!" And we went in, we started battling.

Shorty Rock (The Crazy Commanders)
 

What happened was there were two styles colliding 'cause we sorta had the six-step but it was the tucked in, short version where you're like tucked in but you move real fast. They had the long six-step. It comes out where, you know, you stretch out a little while you're still doing those steps. That's the first time I seen that style. I remember practicing with Spy and he was trying to show me the chair freeze, the figure four. This is before I met Trac 2. Spy showed me how to put my leg over, I never knew about that. I remember having a hard time, I kept dropping and dropping until I finally got it how to twist my body, to have my body like stay in one spot but my leg to switch over to land on the other side. I learnt that from him. You know, he taught me that. Me and Spy became real good friends. I used to wake this guy up in the morning. I would come to his house, Spy used to be sleeping...I would come to the building, go to a side window in the hallway, go out to the fire escape, go up to the second floor, open up this ni**er's window and go right into his room and this ni**er would pop his head out of his blanket with all that fucking hair (laughs). I would be like,  "Hey, what's up!?!"  and we would sit there, maybe blaze a joint or something and talk for a minute. Then he would get up and that was it. A lot of times when I didn't go to school and we played hooky we would meet up to drink a 40. We were bugged out kids back then but that's what we did, you know what I'm saying? So I would pick him up and we would hang out and that's how we did it. So that's my association with the CC Crew. After a while the CC Crew diminished and they weren't doing anything no more and so Spy started meeting some of the other people. Like Jimmy Lee and them they were from my side of town. They were like from Macombs Road which was up the block from Grand Avenue and Featherbed Lane and that area. That's were G-Man and Sunkist Evie and Coco and all those people came from and Jimmy Lee was part of that group  and then Spy was on that side of town, too. So them, Spy and us were all on that side and we all became good friends and then we moved it from there to 184th Street..... Field Place. That's where we started hanging and that's where the Rock Steady Crew really got his birth at right there. That block is where we started hanging right there!!"

SIR NORIN RAD:"Who won that battle between Easy Mike and you and the Crazy Commanders the in the hallway?"

JOJO:"It ended in a tie."

SIR NORIN RAD:"What comes to your mind when you think of Spy back in the 1970s? What was so special about him as a B-Boy and a human being in general?"

JOJO:"He had an aura around him. He was just outstanding as a dancer, you know? And he didn't really need to show off. He was a humble guy. Don't get the ni**er mad......don't get it twisted, he wasn't a punk, he'd whip a ni**er's ass in a minute but he was a humble dude when it came to dancing. If you came and needed help on behalf of dancing he would be willing to help. That's just how he was and he was just cool about it."

B-Boy Spy (The Crazy Commanders)


SIR NORIN RAD:"How did your brother Easy Mike get into B-Boying? Did he follow you because you are his older brother?"

JOJO:"I think my brother was a little bit ahead of me and he's my younger brother. What I mean by ahead of me..he was a little bit more out there. I think he was dancing before me.....to be honest.See my brother was more like....his strong point was comedy. He would serve you with funny shit. He was sorta like how The Ni**er Twins was. They did comedy in their dance and their routines. His routines were something like that, you know? So that's where his strong point was, making you look stupid on the dancefloor without doing a lot of power and spins and shit like that. So he went that way and I went totally the opposite. I went to like skills and style and finesse. That's why we were like two completely different B-Boys. When we were together it was a team effort. I had the styles, he had the comedy and you had to beat both of them in order to win."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Did you share a room in your house? Would you practice at home, too?"

JOJO:"Well, my house in the Bronx was the base for all of the practicing. I would practice right in my living room. We was like poor, you know? My moms worked a lot, you know just so we could have a good life. My moms was my mother and my father. She was both to me. When she went to work she used to leave at 6 o' clock in the morning and wouldn't be back till 6 o'clock in the night. So if I went to school and I got home at 3 o' clock I had three hours to practice before she got home. I had to make sure everybody was out of the house by the time she got there. So we practiced a lot in the house."

SIR NORIN RAD:"I think you once told me that your brother did not always go by the name of Easy Mike. What was he called before that?"

JOJO:"Big Boy Baretta."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Where did that name come from?"

JOJO:"Like I said he was very out there. So he changed his name a lot. Like when he wrote graffiti he wrote See 2. That was his graffiti name. And then when he was dancing it went from Big Boy Baretta to Easy Mike. Actually, when we met Spy he was still Big Boy Baretta and I was still Spiderman. We changed our names when we got older."

B-Boy Easy Mike and B-Boy Jojo

SIR NORIN RAD:"Were you a Writer back then, too?"

JOJO:"I really didn't do too much graffiti but when I did I wrote Maze 176."

SIR NORIN RAD:"It seems that in your era it was a common thing among B-Boys to get up even if it just meant to carry around a Uni-Wide or a Pilot marker and to tag up your name wherever you went."

JOJO:"Yeah, see this is the difference between today and my generation. My era...we did it all. I DJed, I MCed, I used to do graffiti, I used to dance. I was an all around B-Boy, that means I did it all."  

SIR NORIN RAD:"How old were you when you met Spy?"

JOJO:"13, 14. I was around that age."

SIR NORIN RAD:"If that's okay with you I would like to address a highly controversial topic now namely that of the inception of the Rock Steady Crew."

JOJO:"Yeah."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Let me start by telling you what I have been told so far about the creation of that very prestigious crew. I have been told that the Rock Steady Crew was started in late 1979, not in 1977. I have also been told that Jimmy Dee and Jimmy Lee who started out as TBB members went to Batch at that meeting in 1979 when he broke up the TBB Crew and told him that they wanted to started a new crew but at the same time continue the legacy of TBB. That's why they had on their brown sweatshirts which featured their names on the front and then at the bottom of the "Rock Steady Crew " in the back of the T-Shirt  it read "TBB". What is your take on that?"

JOJO:"As far as Rock Steady I don't wanna step on nobody's toes or say shit that ain't true but I don't remember that. Jimmy Dee and Jimmy Lee....I taught both of these cats how to dance! I'm not saying I taught them everything they know but the fundamentals came from me. The fundamentals how you got started and then you took it from there. I also remember vividly being in Jimmy Dee's room when we came up with the name "Rock Steady Crew", you know? 'Cause at that time we had a group called The Untouchable Four B-Boys and this was before Rock Steady, you know what I'm saying? There was other B-Boys that wanted to get down with the Untouchable Four but we couldn't do it 'cause see the name was The Untouchable Four, so it only had four members. The reason why I say this is because I remember the t-shirt that said "Untouchable" and then "4". That's like way back. Rock Steady came out of the Untouchable Four. Back then as far as leadership is concerned there wasn't nobody looked upon as the one leader of the Rock Steady Crew. I was still part of Rock Steady when Jimmy Lee got in trouble and he left and me and Jimmy Dee...we were considered the founders and we went to Lincoln Center (where the Rock Steady Crew battled the Dynamic Rockers in 1981). Why you think I was there? Why you think everybody was standing around me when they took a picture of us standing there? I have no problem with giving credit to TBB and I can't say that no TBB members became members of Rock Steady later on like Popeye. I remember Popeye, he got down with us but he came from TBB. But all this came from us hanging out on 184th Street. We were all friends. Those guys were from that area. They didn't come from TBB in the South Bronx, they came from Davidson Avenue, Burnside Avenue, Grand Avenue. They came from the West Side of the Bronx where I was from, you know what I'm saying? Like Rum 6......Jerry was his name..he lived right there in that building on the corner of Davidson Avenue & Fordham Avenue, you know what I'm saying? So yeah, I can say many TBB members later on became members of the Rock Steady Crew. In fact I once put out an article on the creation of Rock Steady and many of the original members listed there where down with TBB before. I guess that's why when Aby and them saw that they were like, "Yeah, this is why RSC came from TBB!" It didn't come from TBB. Those guys were down because we put them down. They wanted to be down with Rock Steady. Not that they were all TBB members and we just started the Rock Steady Crew.  Rock Steady got started outside of TBB, it didn't get started within TBB, you know what I'm saying? This is what the argument is about. I was never a member of TBB and I have never seen a Rock Steady shirt and a TBB shirt together. I heard about that, too, and that's not true. There was a Rock Steady shirt....the main colours were brown and white and black and yellow. Those were the main Rock Steady colours. Don't let nobody tell you otherwise. Those were the main colours. I was there when we went to Frank's and got them t-shirts made.....at Frank's Sporting Goods. I had my brown and white Rock Steady shirt and I got my black and yellow Rock Steady shirt. I got both of them."    

SIR NORIN RAD:"So how did you meet Jimmy Dee and Jimmy Lee?"

JOJO:"Ok, this is how it all started.....Jimmy Dee...I meet him through Ricky Dee. Ricky Dee was a DJ, he had DJ equipment. So that's how I met Ricky Dee 'cause I went to one of  the jams where he was  DJing. Then I met Jimmy Dee through Ricky Dee. So we all became friends. At that time Jimmy Dee wasn't no B-Boy. Like I said I taught him 'cause he knew I was a B-Boy. "

SIR NORIN RAD:"Where did Ricky Dee DJ at?"

JOJO:"Not too many places. He would DJ at house parties and sometimes he would do it in front of his building. Now as far as Jimmy Lee goes, me and Jimmy Lee had a big fight on Halloween. After that I didn't see him for a few months and then one day I was at another DJ Whitehead jam at 82 park and I served some kid when I got up I saw that Jimmy Lee was there. He wasn't Jimmy Lee then, he was just Jimmy, you know what I'm saying? He came walking over and I said to myself,"Don't tell me I have to fight this kid again." He came to me and said,"Hey, you think you can teach me how to dance like that?" I was like, "Yeah, man. You wanna learn?" He's like,"Yeah!" I said, "Just come to my house, I live on Grand Avenue. Meet me here tomorrow and I'll show you." Sure enough he showed up the next day and we started practicing and like I said I showed him the fundamentals. Same thing with Jimmy Dee."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Let us please talk about the year in which the Rock Steady Crew was created. Obviously, since you were still down with the Crazy Commanders at that Dungeon Battle in late 1978, Rock Steady's birth cannot have taken place in 1977."

JOJO:"The misconception about the year......Yeah, I might have got the years mixed up and I'm gonna be honest. I remember the Blackout and that was in 1977. That's what I remember and I thought it ( the creation of Rock Steady) happened around that time but I could be wrong. Rock Steady could have started in 1979."  

SIR NORIN RAD:"Was Crazy Legs among the original members of the Rock Steady Crew of 1979?"

JOJO:"No, he wasn't. He never did anything with us."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Okay, but what about the battle of Crazy Legs and his cousin Lenny Len had against Jimmy Dee and Jimmy Lee in 1979 in order to join Rock Steady?"

JOJO:"I wasn't there and I don't remember this happening in 1979."

SIR NORIN RAD:"What was the original hang out spot of the Rock Steady Crew? I guess that Rock Steady Park on 98th Street & Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan came later in the early 1980s, right?"

JOJO:"Yes, that was the second generation's stomping ground. The first generation's hang out spot was 115. We was hanging out at 115 and when me and Jimmy Dee put those words "Rock Steady Crew" together, we was on Anthony Avenue..right there by Echo Park. Right where Jimmy Dee lived at, in his room. I also used to teach Jimmy Dee in his room. He had a carpet in his room, I couldn't spin there but I used to teach him in his room. That's where the name Rock Steady Crew came up and we ran with that from then on. Jimmy Lee wasn't even there. There was also a building across the street that we had a club house in. In the building 111 on the first floor Rock Steady had a club house there. We had a club house in that abandoned building. Then there was fire and the whole building burnt down and to this day it's still an empty building. Who can tell you this?"

SIR NORIN RAD:"What were your top breakbeats to go off to back in the 1970ies?"

JOJO:"Back then of course it was "Apache". That was the first one and then after that it was "It's Just Begun" and after that it was "Give It Up Or Turn It Loose" by James Brown. What's another dope one? There was a jam called "Blow Your Head" by Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s Yeah, those were my top breakbeats." 

SIR NORIN RAD:"Thank you! And who do you consider to be the best three B-Boys from your era?"

JOJO:" I can only tell you from my experience. I can't tell you that much what was going on in the South Bronx with Starchild La Rock, TDK, TBB, Rockwell and all of them. As far as on my side of town it was Spy, me and Shorty Rock. My brother was also a very good B-Boy.We were the ones that were locking it down in my area." 

SIR NORIN RAD:"You said that when you first met Trac 2 you knew that he was a B-Boy by the way he was dressed. How did B-Boys dress during your era?"

JOJO:"Well, first of all your baseball cap was always to the side or backwards, it was never forward. Back then when we were young we were poor kids so we really didn't have the best clothes. So back then most of the B-Boys were kinda bummy. When we got older we were the ones that took the term "fresh" and turned it around to "being fresh". You know, like our Adidas were clean. We were like, "If you step on my shoes I kill you!" We were taught on keeping our gear fresh. That term "fresh" came from us! So we took that image of being bummy and turned it around to being fly and dancing and being fly and still getting up and being clean. We ironed our pants with Niagara starch, you know what I'm saying? I mean we had the crease, the killer crease. The Adidas suits were firm... all that. Another thing we used to do 'cause we were into straight legs...straight legs looked a little bit more stylish when it came to Breaking...so we used to tie our shit with laces along the legs. We used to take one sock and fold it up and put it into our socks so the front of my sneakers would look busted out really fat and shit. We did all that. I mean I'm the type of person you'll never catch me wearing an Adidas shirt with Nike sneakers."

SIR NORIN RAD:"So dressing fresh or fly was part of the B-Boy identity?"

JOJO:"Yeah, that's where "fresh" came from. You know, (raps) "cold chillin' at a party in a B-Boy stance!" How do you chill in a B-Boy stance if you're not fresh? You had to have style 'cause you know if you was a B-Boy and you was a bum they had pity for you like, "That ni**er is dirty. You see his pants? What's wrong with him??" and then you would get help. Other B-Boys would look out for you. They'd be like, "I let you rock these tonight! Wear these sneakers!" or whatever, whatever. But we didn't have to that 'cause after a while we started to get our gear together."

SIR NORIN RAD:"Would you like to give any shoutouts at the end of this interview?"

JOJO:"Yes, I'd liketo give a shoutout that was involved back then. Mad love and respect to Aby and Batch. Trace 2...may he and all the other guys that have passed over the years rest in peace.I wanna give a shoutout to my man Spy. I hope he'll be out soon. We got a lot of work to do. Shoutouts to everybody else that supports this. We love you 'cause this is our culture, this is our life! Shoutouts to my crew of today..Original Skillz!! Shoutouts to Kevski and B-Boy Concrete Monkey. Shout outs to Sting Like A Bee Prez B and Alora. I also appreciate you, Norin, for the interviews that you are doing. Oh yeah, one more thing..shoutouts to my wife Lorrie for supporting me from day one. Love ya Baby! "

 

 




   


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Interview with MC Terry Tee (Touch Of Class / The Nice & Nasty MCees )

                          Interview with MC Terry Tee (Touch Of Class Disco / The Nice & Nasty MCees ) MC Terry Tee (Touch Of Class Disc...